Teamw116#3 280SM - parts gathering

More threads by oscar

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I leave this place for a few hours and you've almost finished repairing the race car......

Wanna weekend job here?:D

Des

Also with the replacement bonnet you could see if you can plan out a cut on there and stick a bug catcher out there with pod filter or something?! Be much better cold air.. :D food for thought?

As I have said before an XY GT shaker would suit the W116 lines,

B13 has already proven the rear spoiler looks like it was made for the W116

237789118MAUoXR_fs.jpg

SELfor50

As I have said before an XY GT shaker would suit the W116 lines,

B13 has already proven the rear spoiler looks like it was made for the W116

237789118MAUoXR_fs.jpg

Word homz, word!! :D :cool:

I did have some bonnet scoops of death prep'd for ol' silver but they were too flimsy... :eek: :( I think i might source an XY shaker intake... :)

OP
oscar

oscar

Michel, be careful what you ask. :D You know how awsome it would be to spend a weekend in a real workshop and to use real tools. Ok, I got a few good hand tools but you know what I mean.

Cam I meant to ask about bonnet pins. Might have to fabricate some brackets. They look cool but are they needed to comply with rules?

There's all sorts of mods running round my head and it's hard to know where to stop. Turbo's an obvious one but geez, I checked the prices and I think I'll just stick to basics for the mo. Scoops and spoilers and things are definitely in my mind but it might have to wait. Agreed the shaker scoop is slim enough to look cool without looking stoopid.

Welding is supposed to start Saturday.

Last edited:

SELfor50

Michel, be careful what you ask. :D You know how awsome it would be to spend a weekend in a real workshop and to use real tools. Ok, I got a few good hand tools but you know what I mean.

Cam I meant to ask about bonnet pins. Might have to fabricate some brackets. They look cool but are they needed to comply with rules?

There's all sorts of mods running round my head and it's hard to know where to stop. Turbo's an obvious one but geez, I checked the prices and I think I'll just stick to basics for the mo. Scoops and spoilers and things are definitely in my mind but it might have to wait. Agreed the shaker scoop is slim enough to look cool without looking stoopid.

Welding is supposed to start Friday or Saturday.

Nothing more real than a DIY workshop!!! That's where magic happens...... actually forget that bullsh!t, it's where sh!t happens cause it HAS to f*kn happen!! :eek: ;)

A 2nd method of securing the bonnet is a requirement, but I get away with that cause there's the double bonnet latch on the 116. Technically you should still have a secondary tie down though. I'm gonna get some bonnet pins, they just look cool.

Shaker scoop is cool, but hey... I'm a fan of the more lair the better. I already get enough looks as it is, and questions... why not put a big f*kn bug catcher on there?! :D

Turbo's not on the cards at all without an entire engine re-build (custom as well) and also transmission re-build. Forced induction is a HUGE step....
I reckon there's heaps to be done before looking to forced induction..

OP
oscar

oscar

The turbo idea was just playing with the scoop/forced induction idea but the first time I pondered turbo was b13 commenting on low compression of carbied m110's and suitability for turbo. I can't remember what compression ratio povo has. I'll have to look it up but yeah, a turbo install isn't around the corner if at all.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia

Anytime you need to do something you can't at home, lemme know....

OP
oscar

oscar

Do you have respirators connected to fresh air.:confused: I worked outside today in the breeze stripping the front panel and also painted some pulleys. Now I can feel a headache coming on and the smell of hydrocarbons is still up me nose.

Still need to finish off that butt joint to get it to match, I'm about 5mm too long at the moment but I should try and talk my welder weilding friend to come tomorrow.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Oscar,

This is looking great mate.
You mean you were not using a dust mask?

You can get them cheap at any auto accessory/spare parts shop.

Don't let that stuff get into your lungs :eek:

OP
oscar

oscar

Thanks Michel. I hoped to have stripped everything today but it wasn't to be.

It wasn't so much there being dust as the smell of the thinners, prep wash and paint stripper. I did use a wire brush in my drill to finish off little stubborn bits but the paint bubbled off en mass beforehand and wiped off fairly easily with towels. But I will go get some masks tomorrow. Might get a decent rubber one with cartridges. I've grabbed those paper throw away ones before when I've done sanding on plaster and wood and IMHO they're useless. I've never been able to adjust them to fit my face or my nose. That metal strip is usually too weak.

I've found that one of the local engineering places that I've been shopping at for tools seems to stock everything but nothing cheap or poor quality. It's a great shop and I've found yesterday that they also mix auto paints and have all the pro gear. I'll pop in again tomorrow and see what they've got.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Keep us posted Oscar....

I keep shaking my head and admiring the cleanliness of the job...

Well Done....:D

OP
oscar

oscar

That means a lot coming from someone in the biz, thankyou Michel.

But the apparent cleanliness, I put it all down to the magic of jpeg compression:D

Will keep stripping today and try to trim that 5mm and get the butt joint as close to perfect as I can. My vernier rule will be working overtime to make sure the quarter panel will align with screw holes.

Biggest disappointment for today is that I have to work on Saturday out of town which means there'll be no welding till late next week. Maybe that's a good thing as I'll take more time not to rush the alignment.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
That means a lot coming from someone in the biz, thankyou Michel.
But the apparent cleanliness, I put it all down to the magic of jpeg compression:D
Will keep stripping today and try to trim that 5mm and get the butt joint as close to perfect as I can. My vernier rule will be working overtime to make sure the quarter panel will align with screw holes.
Biggest disappointment for today is that I have to work on Saturday out of town which means there'll be no welding till late next week. Maybe that's a good thing as I'll take more time not to rush the alignment.

That'll give you a break which will be good for two reasons...
1-You can recharge your batteries (it get monotonous to stay on the same job if that takes a long time).
2-You can also look at it from a fresh perspective, which would allow you to see things that you might have missed the first time.

OP
oscar

oscar

Hmmm. I know I should have listened there to you Michel, but I didn't see your response in time.:rolleyes: Curiosity got the better of me after my welding friend and I went and eyed off some new MIG's at a trade show of sorts at thtat engineering place. I was very tempted to buy a Lincoln MIG for $1000 that I couldn't afford and my mate said just before he left "don't do anything stupid, we'll use mine next weekend ok?":rolleyes:

Well I didn't buy a MIG but I came home and thought maybe I'll just use my stick welder with 2.0mm rods to tack weld the top rad support. I burnt a hole right away and thought "fudge", but I filled then tacked and tacked some more and filled another hole then did a run and 6hrs later I'm finished.:D:D:D

Not ideal using a stick welder but I'm pretty happy with the strength I've achieved. The inner guard was the trickiest. Alternating above and below with tack welds I even managed to fill a couple of 5mm gaps by doing cycles of adding, grinding, adding. It's pretty solid. Just needs a clean up and grind. Most of the slag has been removed, just have to make it look smoother.

Whilst I was at the trade show I picked up some paint and a respirator for next lot of days off. Back to real work tomorrow.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
You've done well.... ;)

It is not easy to weld if you're not used to it.:rolleyes:

Professional welders spend years practicing...
The good ones will amaze you and the bad ones.... well, they should have given up a long time ago :D

You'll need to do a bit of tidying up now...:D

SELfor50

You're a f*king machine!!! How do you reckon this beast would be at Drifting? :D

OP
oscar

oscar

Drifting?? I have no idea. I have a feeling though that after the odd bits of driving I did in the red 280S, that the inside rear will easily let go, moreso than on the 350 or 450. Not so much because of the power but for the diff ratio and non LSD capability. Wish I could rig up two more brake pedals and another pair of calipers for the rears so I could lock the inside wheel up during turns so to speak and have the power go to the outside wheel. But I'd need another pair of legs to operate them properly.:rolleyes:

Tried to do more stripping the last couple of days but have been flat out at work, so no progress.

OP
oscar

oscar

Little update, the fan arrived today. Looks perfect, feels surprisingly heavier than the original. It has a metal frame and deadly sharp and tough fins that are plastic although I first thought they felt like metal. Some kind of tough polycarbonate I reckon. It is an MB fan so it's gotta be heavy:D

SELfor50

Little update, the fan arrived today. Looks perfect, feels surprisingly heavier than the original. It has a metal frame and deadly sharp and tough fins that are plastic although I first thought they felt like metal. Some kind of tough polycarbonate I reckon. It is an MB fan so it's gotta be heavy:D

Looks great Oscar!! :cool:

MB fan's, gotta be heavy.. What MB did they come off, and are they new?

Also, how much did they set you back?

OP
oscar

oscar

I'll post the part number up when I get home and maybe someone might know what it's from. It's already got two long bits cut off it because it was fitted to a Val before hand. But those parts I would've cut off anyway. I'll get a pic up later what they should look like. $170 the cost second hand and there is two nicks in one of the fans but no big drama.